Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Book Review: "The Thief" by Stephanie Landsem

Photo credit: NetGalley

I decided to read The Thief (Howard Books), by Stephanie Landsem, simply because it looked interesting enough.  I never was one that loved speculative historical fiction.  I dabbled in it a bit last year, so I decided to give it a go.  The Thief follows a young Jewish spinster (Nissa), who becomes the best thief in Jerusalem in order to pay the rent and keep her blind brother (Cedron) fed.  She crosses paths with a Roman centurion (Longinus) who coincidently is hunting "the thief."  Her blind brother is healed by a certain teacher you may have heard of (Jesus), but instead of their lives becoming easier, they become a lot more complicated.  Cedron and Longinus become drawn to this teacher, and Longinus and Nissa to each other.  Nissa's web of lies becomes even more complicated, and her heart torn.  They end up in the middle of Jesus's arrest, trial, and crucifixion and  must decide for themselves what the Truth really is.

I DEVOURED this story.  I'm falling in love with stories that teach you to read scripture differently.  Not to just read the same words you've always read but to look at the story from every single angle.  I think then you are able to more fully understand.  It tears your heart up a little more, and that's okay.  There's something about imagining what it would have been like to be there, to see Jesus's eyes, to witness such true love and compassion.  It wrecks me.

I would definitely recommend this book, and I would actually read it again (which is rare for me, there are just too many new books to read!)

Published: February 25, 2014

This book was provided for review by NetGalley

Update: Enter to win your very own copy here! http://www.stephanielandsem.com/2014/02/giveaway/

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I love the way historical fiction gives new perspective to the accounts in the Bible. I'm looking forward to receiving my copy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a unique take on Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Thanks for the review. Looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete